Georgetown University, Washington, DC 2012 – 2018
Funding: Lilly Endowment, Religion News Foundation
Dissertation awarded with distinction, 4.0.
Published as: Between Faith & Power: Religious Freedom as Dynamic Engagement (Wipf & Stock, 2020)
Georgetown University, Washington, DC 2004
MALS, Islam & Muslim-Christian Relations
Thesis chapter published in Muslims and American Popular Culture (Praeger, 2014).
Published in full as Christians and Muslims at the Epicenter: How the Sept. 11th Attacks Shook and Transformed American Evangelicalism (Agilis Press, 2011)
Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL 1994
MA, International Mass Media Communications
Content Manager/Editor – National Religion Beat
Associated Press, Washington, DC 2000 – Present
Associate Professor, Adjunct
University of Maryland Global Campus 2011 – Present
Agile Arts Productions, Herndon, VA 1999 – Present
Mobile Video Services, Washington, DC
KOAT-TV (ABC Affiliate), Albuquerque, NM
Operations Manager/On-Air Host
KNKT – FM, Connection Communications, Albuquerque, NM
KLYT – FM, Christian Broadcasting Academy, Albuquerque, NM
Books & Chapters
Between Faith & Power: Religious Freedom as Dynamic Engagement. Eugene, Ore.: Wipf and Stock, 2020.
“The Mennonites of Khiva: A Modernizing Community,” European Mennonites and the Challenge of Modernity over Five Centuries: Contributors, Detractors, and Adapters., C.H. Wedel Historical Series, Jantzen and Sprunger, eds. N. Newton, KS: Herald Press, 2016.
“Evangelical Responses to Muslims Since the Sept. 11th Attacks,” Muslims in American Popular Culture. Omridvar and Richards, eds. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2014.
Christians and Muslims at the Epicenter: How the Sept. 11th Attacks Shook and Transformed American Evangelicalism. Herndon, VA: Agilis Press, 2011.
The Heavens: Scripture Illuminated by Astronomy. Herndon, VA: Agilis Press, 2010
Pilgrims on the Silk Road: A Muslim-Christian Encounter in Khiva. Eugene, Ore.: Wipf & Stock, 2010.
Through the Desert Goes Our Journey: The Mennonite Trek to Central Asia. Herndon, VA: Agile Arts Productions, 2008.
Die Letzte Schlacht: Christliche Fundamentalisten in den USA. Berlin, Germany: Eikon Media GmbH, 2007.
Crisis in Kaduna: Muslim-Christian Conflict in Nigeria. Washington, DC: World Relief/Mustard Seed Foundation, 2000.
A Chance to Prosper: Microfinance Opportunities in the Philippines. Alexandria, VA: World Hope International, 1999.
“Street Gangs: Stopping a Deadly Cycle,” Videomax, Pulitzer Broadcasting Co., September 1996.
Freelance Magazine Articles
“Art in the First Person: An Author in Search of a Story,” Elan Magazine (June 2011).
“Field Work Grounded in the Classroom,” The Hoya (January 15, 2010).
“Last Oasis: The Mennonite Refuge in Khiva,” Mennonite Life 63.1 (Spring 2008).
“Congress May Merge Efforts,” Christianity Today 42.10 (September 7, 1998).
“New Religious Liberty Bill Unveiled,” Christianity Today 42.9 (August 10, 1998).
“Tithe Protection Law Signed,” Christianity Today 42.9 (10 August 1998).
“Bankruptcy Exemption Progresses” Christianity Today 42.6 (May 18 1998).
“Hell Discovered in Siberia…Not!” Cutting Edge Magazine (April 1993), 4-8.
“Access to Public Obscenity,” Cutting Edge Magazine, March 1993, 4-6.
“Culture of Death: Albuquerque’s Street Gangs,” Cutting Edge Magazine, July 1992, 1-5.
Academic Presentations and Lectures
Panelist: “Personal and Professional Values in Liberal Studies.” Georgetown University-School of Continuing Studies, 1 November 2019.
Moderator: AP-ENPS Futures Summit Panel: “Thinking Strategically About Technology in the Newsroom.” Associated Press 15 November 2016
“The Role of Faith-based Organizations in Equitable Development: A Case Study from Egypt”
Hands Along the Nile Development Services Feb. 20, 2016
Panelist: Doctor of Liberal Studies Convocation “Liberal Studies and Values: A Reflection”
Georgetown University October 2, 2015
Discussant: Libertas Workshop on Religious Freedom
Villanova School of Law July 6-8, 2015
“Je Suis Charlie/Je Ne Suis Pas Charlie: Journalism and Religious Freedom in the Age of Charlie Hebdo”
Ethics, Media and Culture: First Freedoms and Terrorism Conference April 11, 2015
“Muslims, Mennonites and Modernization in the Silk Road Kingdom of Khiva.”
Second Annual Graduate Liberal Studies Conference June 11, 2011
Through the Desert/Pilgrims on the Silk Road: The Mennonite Trek to Central Asia
Film screening and Presentation May 28-29, 2011
Columbia Bible College & the Mennonite Historical Society of British Columbia
Through the Desert/Pilgrims on the Silk Road: The Mennonite Trek to Central Asia
Film screening and Presentation April 15, 2011
Georgetown University, School of Continuing Studies
“The Mennonite Trek to Central Asia: Apocalyptic Debacle or Christian-Muslim Paradigm?”
Apocalypse and its Discontents Conference Dec 11, 2010
University of Westminster, London, UK,
Panel Chair: “Apocalypse: Global Perspectives.”
Apocalypse and its Discontents Conference Dec 10, 2010
University of Westminster, London, UK
“Mennonites as Modernizers in Pre-Soviet Khiva”
Marginal or Mainstream? Anabaptists, Mennonites and Modernity in European Society Conference
Bethel College, KS June 26, 2010
Through the Desert/Pilgrims on the Silk Road
Film screening and Discussion April 6, 2010
Harvard Divinity School/CSWR
Undergraduate Courses Taught (UMGC)
- PHIL 336 Ideas Shaping the 21st Century
- HUMN 344 Technology and Society
- HUMN 351 Myth and the World
- PHIL 127 Living Religions of the World
- HUMN 100 Introduction to the Humanities
Graduate Courses Taught (SNHU)
- COM 500 Communication, Media and Society
- COM 620 Strategic Management Communications
Hands Along the Nile Development Services 2011 – Present
Search Committee Member: Associate Dean – Graduate Liberal Studies
School of Continuing Studies 2015
Fellowships, Honors, and Awards
Lilly Endowment Scholarships in Religion, Religion Newswriters Association
Funding for Doctoral Work at Georgetown University 2012 – 2014
Ph.D. Research Fellowship in Turkey
Rumi Forum 2013
Istanbul, Ankara, Gaziantep
Gold Medal: Nonfiction – Religion/Philosophy
National Reader’s Favorite Book Awards 2011
Emmy Award (Heartland Region), Musical Composition/Arrangement 2010
For the “Through the Desert Goes Our Journey: The Mennonite Trek to Central Asia ” Soundtrack
Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding 2007
Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service
AP Beat of the Week
For an interactive profile of Pope John Paul II, April 2005
RIAS (Radio in the American Sector)/Berlin Commission 2000
Berlin, Hamburg, Brussels
W=Wheaton College, G=Georgetown University, M=University of Maryland, T=Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- MBA 670 Strategic Decision Making (M)
- MBA 640 Innovation Through Marketing and Technology (M)
- MBA 630 Leading in the Multicultural Global Environment (M)
- MBA 620 Financial Decision Making (M)
- MBA 610 Leading Organizations and People (M)
- PRO 600 Professional Communication, Problem Solving & Leadership (M)
- INTR 556 Leadership Development (W)
Theology & Philosophy
- BITH 553 New Testament/Early Christian History, Elwell (W)
- BITH 568 Theology of Communication, Webber (W)
- BITH 651 Current Issues in New Testament, McRae (W)
- IDS 699 Crucial Issues in Christian Thought, Cameron (T)
- LSHV 601 Liberal Studies as a Perspective and Method, Reuscher (G)
- LSHV 602 Love, Death and God, Sanders (G)
- LSHV 493 Political Theology, Havrilak (G)
- LSHV 603 Rise of the Modern Spirit, Reynolds (G)
- LSHV 604 The Challenge of Postmodernism, Ambrosio (G)
- LSHV 397 Islam and Muslim-Christian Relations, Haddad (G)
- LSHV 476 Islam in the World, al Faruqi (G)
- INAF 371 Idolatry in Christianity and Islam, Cappadonna (G)
- INAF 418 Religion and Science in Contemporary Islam, Voll (G)
- HIST 364 Revolutionary Thought in Islam, Esposito (G)
- LSHS 497 Contemporary Islamic Activist Intellectuals, Voll (G)
- PSCI 378 American Foreign Relations (W)
- LSHV 365 Comparative Values in International Relations, Voll (G)
- LSHV 357 Religion and International Affairs, Haddad (G)
- INAF 423 Politics of International Religious Freedom, Farr (G)
- INAF 487 Practice and Ethics in Global Development, Marshall (G)
- LSHV 911 Relig. Freedom and Church-State Relations (Dir. Reading), Shah (G)
- LSHV 911 Relig. Freedom and Politics: Current Discourse (Dir. Reading), Kessler (G)
- COMM 514 Ethics of Communication, Fackler (W)
- COMM 511 Communication Theory, Griffin (W)
- COMM 518 Survey Research (W)
- COMM 588 Video Directing/Producing (W)
- COMM 584 Radio/TV Management (W)
- COMM 591 International Media Systems, Grant (W)
- COMM 684 European Media Systems, Grant (W)
- COMM 526 Writing for Ministry, Arnold (W)
- COMM 683 Seminar in Journalism (W)